Saturday, March 01, 2014

The Postmodern Matrix

I've been studying postmodernism. Why? The culture, worldview and popular mindset has changed radically in the last decade, and I don't recognize it. So, I've studied it, and paid attention to the postmodern mentality because I want to understand it.

The difference between the worldview when I grew up and the mindset of the current generation are as different as night and day. And, in order to speak effectively to someone who sees the world differently, we have to study and listen and learn.

How is it possible? How can a worldview be so effectively and so radically changed, right under our noses, and we don't even realize it until it is done?

Actually, we did have strong clues along the way. But, many of the postmodern values sound good, by themselves. And, if we aren't critically examining those values along the way, we can even be sucked into the perspective, until suddenly we start to observe the results of the applied philosophy. Is it too late?

One of the first things I remember was when women started taking a leading role in news reporting and television news. The feminization of news reporting has had an incredible impact in on social values. From the first time I heard a TV news reporter ask "How does that make you feel?", I've been offended and realized that "news" was no longer news as we had been taught in journalism classes. It was no longer about facts, news became about feelings. And, this was a clear indicator that postmodernism was taking root in our culture.

Through EzineArticles.com I have written several articles about postmodernism. The challenge is to learn how to communicate with postmoderns, and convince them of the error of their values.

No comments: